Thursday, May 31, 2012

Things I Love Thursday



1. My Sweet Baboo!
 Okay – so my sweetie and I are nearing 26 years of marriage, plus 7 years of growing up together as teenagers through middle and high school.  He is my rock, my safety net, my cheerleader, my number one cuddler, and the person I would want to be stranded on a dessert island with.  I am blessed!




2. TYR Durafast Swimsuit
Not as good as a 26-year marriage, but darn close.  This swimsuit is really decent, and by decent I mean it covers everything that should be covered and stays in place.  I hate wearing swimsuits to begin with and I actually don’t feel too bad in this one.  I got it at REI, but I know they can also be found online.  Here's a link to a GREAT sale!  I may even order another since I know I like it and it fits! A good suit is hard to find!



3. Morning Star Veggie Patties http://www.morningstarfarms.com
I am not a vegetarian, but I really hate hamburger.  I love all the things one puts on a burger, and I love grill taste, but I think I was raised on too much burger, so the taste & smell of it make me gag.  My hubs likes a grilled burger now and again, so this time, I searched around (and asked Angie in the meat department at Safeway for a recommendation) for a new product to try.  Angie recommended the Original Grillers and the ‘Chicken’ patties.  I haven’t tried the mock chicken yet, but I really like the Grillers.  The patty is 130 calories, and for a bun, I used a whole wheat bagel thin for 110 calories.  Sweet Baboo had his usual burger and was happy, and I was more than satisfied with my scaled down version.  Yay!  Depending on sale price, a box runs between $3.99-$4.29 for four patties.  Around a $1/serving isn’t bad – it’s actually better than beef!


4. myfitnesspal app http://www.myfitnesspal.com/ 

I’m new to the whole idea of looking to see if there’s ‘an app for that’, but after my ODS Health Coach asked if I was using any calorie counting apps, I had to do some research.  Gone are the days of seriously long math problems!  I had no idea!!  Myfitnesspal does it all.  I plug in what I ate, drank, and what type of exercise I’ve done, and it keeps a running tab.  There are several things I like about this.  I can see the actual debit/credit of food and exercise.  In my head it makes sense, but to see it on paper…well, on screen, makes it more real.  I can look ahead, see how many calories are left for the day, and I’ve already found that I’m making calculated decisions about how to spend the calorie ‘cash.’  Do I really want a TB of blue cheese crumbles on my salad? Sometimes the answer is yes, but other times, I can go without.
I really wanted to meet with a dietician to talk about my weight loss goals AND training goals.  My biggest concern was making sure I was fueling my body correctly for marathon training.  My insurance covers Weight Watchers, but NOT a visit to an actual dietician.  I think this is wrong, but I don’t get to make the rules.  What I did find out, though, was that I can have an ODS Health Coach – who IS a dietician.  We email or call, depending on what works best.  At first I wasn’t too impressed, but then once I got really specific about my needs and concerns, we started to communicate better.  I’ll let you know how it goes.  For now, I’m tracking everything on myfitnesspal, and then I’ll have the health coach go through it and look for areas for improvement.  Right now, I’m working on 1200 calories (not consumed, mind you – but after food AND exercise pluses and minuses – the end of the day should equal 1200).  I like that at the end of the day, the app says, “If you ate like this every day, you’d weigh_____in 5 weeks.”  It’s encouraging.  I can see that coming in UNDER 1200 will speed that along.  But…I exercise because I LIKE TO EAT!  (This program is available as an app, AND online, in case you don't have a fancy phone or ipad!)

5. Mountain Valley Therapy & Fitness http://mvtfitnessandhealth.com
I was already a fan/patient of Mountain Valley Therapy, and previously, I wrote about the open house for their fitness center.  They’ve been running a free 7-day trial for the fitness center (still available on their website), and along with that, you can meet with a personal trainer.  I did all that, and wasn’t sure if I wanted to join a gym or not.  I know that I really should be adding weight training to what I’m doing (I’ve got cardio covered!), and I’m not exactly equipped at home to do weight lifting.
I met with Matt for an initial screening.  Yes, I got weighed in front of a boy!  Oh, the horror!!! Anyway, he checked my fat ratio, which is not a good one, and we talked about my goals for living a healthy life, and for doing this crazy running event. 

I appreciate that there is no joining fee at Mountain Valley.  If you’ve got the bucks up front to pay for the whole year, you get a discount (not me!), but I joined anyway.  I love that it’s not the gym of my twenties!  The average age in there is over forty!  I love seeing some of my older friends in there lifting weights, possibly for the first time in their lives.  It’s not a big-muscle-head-sweaty-smelling-gym.  It still has new gym smell!  And the locker rooms are lovely and clean!

 Matt set me up on a circuit weight training routine, and I’ll do that for a few weeks and then pay for another session to regroup.  I’m discovering sore muscles that I didn’t know existed.  I should be a Greek Goddess in a few more weeks.  Okay, maybe not, but I’m definitely getting one of those olive leaf crowns!  J













No comments:

Post a Comment