Sunday, May 13, 2012

Some Thoughts About Mothers...

This blog, and my marathon preparation are the tools I am using to raise money for the Children's Cancer Association.   As I was running this morning, I was thinking about what it would be like to be celebrating Mother's Day when you have a seriously ill child. I can't imagine.

Baby Alli - the picture of health!
I'm not trying to get all Debbie Downer on ya, but really, if you are a parent, you know what that bond means.  We want our children to be happy and healthy, and when one of those elements is missing, it's missing for us too.  Our hearts break when theirs do, we cry when they do, we ache when they're ill, and we lose sleep (sometimes grudgingly) when fever strikes, or the vomit misses the toilet, or the diapers overflow or.....you know the drill.

I was thinking about my own mother.  She is not an adventurer AT ALL, but she wholeheartedly supports my adventures.  She is the one who has pledged $1000 for my run!  She is my strongest supporter, in big ways, and in small.  She has shown up with groceries when times were tight.  She has taken all our laundry, and our baby, when we were both sick.  She has replaced our pillows or dishrags when she saw they were worn beyond what is useful.  Her graciousness continues to be a lesson for me.  She shows up and offers.

I was thinking about my mother in law.  You will find no mother in law jokes here - I have been blessed by the woman who raised my tender hearted husband.  I have nothing but respect for her.  She is a wealth of knowledge, but waits to be asked.  She IS an adventurer!  After being a lifelong swimmer, she, at the tender age of 79, tried the slide at the swimming pool for the very first time.  The other 'swimming ladies' followed, saying they had always wanted to try it too.  She now slides at least once a week, and on her 80th birthday, she went down the slide four times - since it was the fourth!  She bravely undresses in the locker room, showing her mastectomy scar.  I don't know if I could do it.  She has attitude and spunk, yet she, too, is quiet like my mother.  You would never suspect that underneath the granny gear, she is a student, a teacher, a lover of romance novels, and a try-er of new things.

I was thinking about my friends, Will and Julie, who lost their sweet son at the age of 6, to brain cancer.  I don't know how you put one foot in front of the other and pick up your life after that.

I am filled with gratitude for my health, and the health of my daughter and her cousins, and second cousins.  I made another contribution to the CCA - $5 each for Robbie, Joanna, Alli, Rebekah, Elizabeth, Clarissa, Marissa, Hannah, Ava and Ethan.   I can pledge, and I can run.  And for those who can't face the day - but must do it for their children, I can pledge more, and run further.
My child got to grow up - now, that's a gift not to be
taken for granted!


Hug your healthy kids.  Celebrate your motherhood, and think of those who are struggling with loss - either of mothers, or chidren.
1 year old Travis and his chemo-pal, Kim Martin
Luke Jensen and his chemo-pal, Ryan Foote








SPREAD SOME LOVE TODAY ~ DONATE TO THE CCA!

No comments:

Post a Comment