Monday, July 30, 2012

Motivational Monday: Appointments I Intend To Keep


I just read my last blog post, dated July 6.  I guess can't use the same opening line about my absenteeism. 

My summer schedule has just changed…again…and this time, I’m more determined to put myself, and my fitness FIRST.  I’ve always heard the advice that you should write your own self into your calendar or appointment book, and keep your obligations to yourself just as you would anyone else.  Good advice, but it’s so easy to fall into the trap of tending to others before yourself.  The truth is, if I am not well (mentally or physically) my care for others will not be all it can be either.

So – here’s to my first Monday on the new schedule. 

UPDATE:
1.    I am done flushing fire hydrants for the city of La Grande.  I had planned on running in the early mornings before work, but that quickly fell away after days spent in the heat and the sun.  I didn’t want any more outside.
2.    We are in the process of moving – our house closes within two weeks, our move-in house is vacant and we have keys!  We’re sort of becoming squatters (but with permission).  J 
3.    I will have new running routes to map out, and far fewer trees and shady places to run. (Note to self: get more sunscreen!)
4.    In August I will not only be nesting a new home, but a new classroom.  I have to keep these in separate mental compartments and only deal with one at a time or I will go mad!  The school is in the process of an asbestos abatement project, so it’s on lock down while all the tiles are removed – I can delete it from my brain for now, but the minute I have the go-ahead, I will go paint my classroom before new flooring is installed.  After the floors are in, I will be a flurry of teacher-crazy as I decorate and prepare for my new little flock.
5.    I spend way too much down time on Pinterest looking for house/school ideas.  I saw something at a rummage sale that was clearly a Pinterest thing that is on my list of crafty projects to make – and I resisted the urge to spend $25 to bypass the craftiness and just buy it already!
6.    I have made a new goal of spending WAY less time on the computer.  I’m even working toward Technology Free Sundays (with the exception of checking in on the Bingham Family Blog – don’t want to miss news of a heart donor for Lindsey!)


So – I ran today.  It felt good, although a bit rusty.  In the time I have been off, though, I have completely reversed the foot issue that I had been having.  (I think that may be a complete post for later).  The dog loves me again.  My muscles are thanking me, and my brain is happy.  I have made an appointment with the road again tomorrow, and it’s one I intend to keep.


QUESTION: How do you manage your fitness when everything going on in your life seems crazy?

No comments:

Post a Comment