Sunday, April 8, 2012

Cross Terrain-ing

My winter running shoes!

If there’s one thing I’ve learned after living in Eastern Oregon all these years, it’s that you have to make peace with the weather.  This week was no exception.  March came in like a lion, and went out like a cranky lion.  April snow showers will delay May’s flowers.  The weather can wreak havoc on one’s psyche this time of year.  One morning, I was all dressed for spring, then, opened the blinds to find a fresh blanket of snow on the ground.  Change of plans, and change of clothes.

Tuesday afternoon I ran in shorts and a t-shirt after work.  It was a balmy 64ยบ.  We had snow showers the rest of the week.

My hubby and I had made plans for a walk on Mt. Emily Thursday afternoon.  I have a four-day work week, and Thursdays are my Fridays.  I came home feeling tired and ready to collapse in the recliner and call it a week.  My sweetheart, however, was already changed into play clothes and hiking boots, had gathered our snow shoes, and was ready to go as soon as I got changed.  I brooded to myself as I changed clothes and prepared for a death march.

We loaded up the dogs and the camera and headed up the hill.  We walked uphill quite a distance before we reached the spot where there was more snow than road, and we put on our snow shoes and the workout really began.  Snow shoeing is a really great workout.  It’s fun, but – boy, is it a butt-burner!  No matter how cold it is, your body heats up in minutes, and before you know you’re shedding layers of hats, gloves and jackets.


Besides the workout, we got a big ole dose of peace and calm.  The dogs frolicked, and Annie enjoyed a snow bath.  She especially loves it when the snow is hard and crunchy.  The valley below us was a beautiful patchwork of colors.  Although we grieved some of the logging that’s being done on ‘our’ mountain, we were able to appreciate new views of the valley through the newly opened landscape.


Our goal was to hike until we reached a spot where the snow run-off creates a lovely, babbling brook.  We could hear the rushing water from a distance (it will slow to a babble in late summer).  We continued upward until the sound was deafening.  We stood quietly, inhaling nature, and exhaling the work-week.  There’s something so calming about the sounds of the earth.  We just stood there, grinning at each other, watching the dogs play, and filling up our souls with goodness.


I haven’t run much this week for a variety of reasons.  I have to make peace with that.  There’s always next week, and the week after that.  As long as I keep leaving the house in the pursuit of  physical activity, I know I’m building a base…a mile at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment